Marsha Nunley, M.D. – San Francisco Bioidentical Doctor
San Francisco Bioidentical Doctor, Marsha Nunley’s mission is to empower individuals to regain their health through a lifestyle that enhances vitality and longevity.
Dr. Nunley uses compassion and the healing arts to promote wellness for patients in the Pacific Heights and Nob Hill San Francisco areas. She states, “People come to me when traditional medicine has run out of solutions. I treat the whole person and work to alleviate symptoms by restoring good health.”
Aging and some of the effects of aging can be considered to be “normal”. However, it is not necessary to accept the characteristics of aging as being normal, any more than a person would consider symptoms of a disease to be normal.
San Francisco Bioidentical Doctor, Marsha Nunley, M.D. offers years of experience as an age management physician and internist, and in her experience, the keys to healthy living involve healing the gut, balancing hormones, managing stress, and healthy lifestyle choices.
Through Dr. Nunley’s unique personal journey, new strategies in nutrition, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, and lifestyle interventions, she can offer her patients an opportunity to restore health and live with vitality.
Conditions such as cancer, osteoporosis, dementia, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and arthritis are not supposed to manifest in the body, and many times, their appearance is a result of poor lifestyle choices and declining hormones.
In anti-aging medicine, aging is defined as the body becoming fatter, drier, slower, and shorter. Beating the stereotypical concept of aging by overcoming the body’s urge to conform a person into a “grumpy old man” or a “shriveled old woman”, could possibly be a matter of replacing lost hormones and regulating the body’s system.
Important Hormones in our Body
Hormones are at the core of the body’s main processes, such as growth, aging, metabolism, and reproduction. As people age, the bodily functions begin to slow down because of the decrease in hormone production. Bioidentical hormones can possibly prevent or slow the effects of aging by restoring hormone function in the body.
During perimenopause and menopause, women have a decrease in important hormones such as estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Women may also experience emotional upsets, vaginal dryness, disturbed sleep patterns, low libido, weight gain, poor balance, weakness, and sagging skin.
Testosterone depletion in men can cause emotional unevenness. Increased anger and anxiety may be present. They may also experience a decline in muscle mass, insomnia, hair thinning, low libido, and aching joints. Because men have lower rates of dementia, it can be concluded that testosterone plays an important role in cognitive function as well. Therefore, cognitive functions may suffer as a result of testosterone loss.
A decline of growth hormone, thyroid hormone, melatonin, cortisol, and DHEA combined with estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone deficiencies, degrade cellular activity and cause the many unpleasant changes that are associated with aging.
Benefits of BHRT can include:
- Balanced Emotions – Hormone fluctuations can influence moods, and sometimes, anxiety, anger, depression, or panic can present because of imbalanced hormone levels. When hormones are balanced, brain chemistry functions normally, and moods become normal and even.
- Regular Sleep Patterns – Insomnia may result from hormonal interference in the messages sent to the hypothalamus, which acts as the body’s internal clock.
- Increased Muscle Mass – Muscle mass is affected by testosterone levels, and muscles can atrophy if not enough testosterone is present.
- Fat Loss – Imbalances in estrogen and progesterone can cause women and men to retain extra fat, and hormone imbalances can cause muscle to atrophy.
- Increased Libido – Testosterone is involved in sexual and reproductive functions, and increased amounts can increase sexual desire and function.
- Decreased Hair Thinning – Testosterone plays a role in hair growth and hair follicle death. When hair cells lack proper chemicals, they self-destruct, and hair no longer grows back.
- Increased Sexual Function – Bioidentical Hormone therapy can diminish vaginal dryness and erectile dysfunction to help men and women regain their sexual function.
- Increased Bone Density – Estrogen and testosterone directly affects calcium absorption, and when the bones do not correctly absorb calcium, they become brittle and porous.
- Regular Body Temperature – The body’s thermostat, which is controlled by the hypothalamus, can receive incorrect signals to cause night sweats, hot flashes, and cold sweats, if hormones are out of balance.